Links allow you to launch any program in your system to open a file created by that program. However, that definition understates the power and flexibility of links because you can tie a link to a specific record, create system wide links available anywhere to all users and custom program links, such as Yahoo Maps for customer and vendor locations.
Typical links are images for inventory items, links to key customer or vendor documentation, URL access and links to Policies and Procedures manuals and knowledge databases.
Elliott Main Menu
For link access and management, links are identified by Type and how they are defined determines at which menu level they appear.
Don’t click icon yet.
Links Defined By:
These are links that attach to a master record, such as the Customer File. Wherever that customer record is open, e.g. Inquiries, Sales Orders, Customer File Maintenance, you have access to all links for that master record. In the tool bar, a red Link icon designates that a user link is available.
These are links designated by the user as “System.” They are automatically available anywhere to all users in Elliott and designated by a yellow Link icon on the tool bar.
These are links that require program modifications by Elliott or 3rd Party Developers. Elliott currently provides a Mapquest program type that lets you view a location map whenever an address is present in the master record.
A link type can be considered as the master record of a link. It contains all the information necessary to use the link. For your convenience, and to help you start using links quickly, we provide you with the following seven Pre-defined links:
1. CONTRC = Contracts (User Link)
2. ELL01 = Elliott home Page (System Link)
3. IMAGE = Images (User Link)
4. FIMAGE = Full Image (User Link)
5. SOUND = Sounds (User Link)
6. SPEC = Specifications (User Link)
7. URL = Home Page (User Link)
8. YAHOOM = Mapquest (Program Link)
Since User Links are at the master record level, we will go directly to Customer File Maintenance, open a customer file and click the Links Icon. From here, we will define the Link fields; create User Links and a System Link.
A/R Main Menu à Maintenance à Customer file à Change
Customer File Maintenance for Customer # 300, click the Links Icon to access the screen below.
|Customer Hot Links Screen|
Two links currently exist because:
1. First link is a System Link that is automatically available anywhere to all users in Elliott.
2. Second link is a Program Link that appears when an address is available in a master record.
Understanding Link Types
Make sure you do not have a link highlighted* and Click Types. This is the procedure to add, delete, or edit Link Types.
In the Types field, press the down arrow (€) to view Types available and select CONTRC Contract.
* In addition to the Link button, when you have a link highlighted or double click, it will execute the link. If highlighted and <Enter> is pressed, it will open the link in edit mode.